BioHello! I write adventures featuring the medieval mercenary Valguard and self publish them to as many outlets as I can. Once described as ‘medieval violence and a touch of magic’ in many ways they feel like a ‘medieval Western’ or Northern, as its often cold and not sunny. In the Venn diagram of Historical Fiction and Fantasy, my stories sit in the area where the two genres overlap. I like to think of them as a sort of ‘Swordpunk’ and these are my rules.
Things I don’t do:
• No maps. If you write the book right, you shouldn’t need them.
• No family trees - No one cares what your great, great step-uncle did
• No Dungeons, no dragons
• No Elves, Orcs or hobbits
• No large scale army battles - my stories are more personal
• No ridiculous, unpronounceable names
• No Olde worlde dialogue - think if Tarantino did medieval
Things I include:
• Brutal violence for grown ups
• Gruesome villains who are bad people
• Fruity and robust language - It was no picnic in the dark ages
• Humour. The text should be laced with dark humour
• Dirt - Almost everything is old and covered in muddy, sweat and blood
• Some Magic - The great wizards have all gone and magic is rare
• Plot twists and surprises
So far these are my published works.
KNIGHT OF COINS
Originally this story was to the beginning of a bigger book, and served as an introduction to the eponymous hero. Expanding this into a self contained 12k word novella seemed like the best way of getting my work 'out there' as a taster or calling card for people to read. Knight of Coins earned some very positive feedback and even won the Best Literary Merit Award in the Fantasia Reviews 2016.
Designed to be a very quick read 3k word short story and as a free giveaway. A desperate Valguard asks a remote church for sanctuary on the night of torrential storm. They offer him protection but can the sins of the past ever be forgiven? When you’re a wanted man, where will you hide?
3000 words, 2017.
Another standalone ‘mission’ for Valguard. Literally running for his life from a huge unstoppable horde of cannibals, I was inspired my the tone of the zombie genre but used infected tribesmen instead of undead, this had Valguard and his team cornered and faced with overwhelming enemy.
13,000 words, 2017.
I am currently working on further Valguard stories, including bigger novels. Currently I sell paperback versions of my books exclusively on Blurb, search for ‘Valguard’. Download and enjoy and please let me know what you think. Thank you, Dave
Free Book Giveaways
A desperate Valguard asks a remote church for sanctuary on the night of torrential storm. They offer him protection but can the sins of the past ever be forgiven? And when you’re a wanted man, where will you hide?
Designed to be a quick read 3k word short story and permanently free giveaway.
3000 words. © David N. Humphrey 2017. All Rights Reserved.